This blog has been created as a tool to encourage students to engage in recreational reading. Through social discussion, students gain better insight and comprehension.

3.02.2009

Singing Hands-Ray

Singing Hands by Delia Ray will appeal to anyone familiar with deafness. My older brother is deaf, which means that he can not hear a thing. I know many families such as the one described in the book.

Gussie Davis is the middle of three hearing daughters born to deaf parents. Her father is the minister at Saint Jude's Church for the Deaf. Gussie gets bored in church and starts humming, she finds this quite funny because no one else is aware of this except her sisters. She gets braver as time progresses and starts singing loudly during church services. She gets away with it until one day the church has a visitor, her father's boss, who happens to be a hearing man.

Gussie is one of those characters that you can't help but enjoy. She is ornery and can be very trying as far as her sisters are concerned but she also has a good heart.

1 comment:

CandyCorn said...

Yeah I read this book last year on a trip. It was really good. I remember I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed how the personalities were portrayed. I also think it might make people aware that just because someone isn't the same as us doesn't mean they aren't a person and do the same things as us. However, I do realize they may go about it in different ways.